Sunday 18 October 2009

Armenian in Brooklyn (new blog by gay Armenian woman)

I'd like to introduce what seems to me an exciting new blog by gay Armenian woman: Armenian in Brooklyn.
I am an immigrant from Yerevan living in Brooklyn for the past 13 years. This is a blog about seemingly contradictory identities that I will weave into something new. Perhaps I can make another world possible for someone who may feel like their struggle corresponds with mine.
In her first two entries, she touches upon complex and sensitive issues of identity, of being Armenian and gay woman, and relevant issues.
All I know is that if there is room to practice being Armenian by being homophobic and sexist and racist, then there must be room to practice being Armenian and being queer, being feminist, being pro-Palestine, being conscious of the different oppressions that afflict our common world all at the same time. At the end of the day, when I trace back my roots to where I come from and I end up in the lands of the Caucasus mountains, in Van, in Tbilisi, in Yerevan, I know that I can never ‘lose’ this history/memory. Who I am and where I come from has made me. Queer.
Welcome to blogosphere, Maral!

No comments: