Saturday 16 May 2009

One vote from me to Sweden at Eurovision final. Malena Ernman 'is gay today' in solidarity with Russia gays

My big Respects to Sweden representative at Eurovision Malena Ernman. She is straight, and in solidarity with Russia gays, posted this statement today:

"Regarding the planned gay parade here in Moscow today I think it’s very sad that they won’t allow a tribute to love. I’m not homosexual but today I am happy and proud to call myself gay - to support my friends and fans."

Sweden was among my top favourites after the first semi-final. Now I have even more reasons to vote for her today.

Esctoday reports:

Today, as Moscow prepares to host tonight's Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, police in Moscow, Russia used force to stop a gay rights rally in the city. Swedish Eurovision Song Contest representative, Malena Ernman has become the first artist from tonight's show to speak out about the subject.

Earlier today, Malena Ernman, who is representing Sweden in tonight's Eurovision song Contest sent a strong message of solidarity to the campaigners.This morning, she posted a message on her blog to support the rights of gay and lesbian citizens in Moscow, taking a brave step, she has made the following statement:

"Regarding the planned gay parade here in Moscow today I think it’s very sad that they won’t allow a tribute to love. I’m not homosexual but today I am happy and proud to call myself gay - to support my friends and fans."

Sweden's gay community has been at the forefront of promoting the Eurovision Song Contest in Sweden. The Schalger Pride Eurovision Song Contest party has been a permanent fixture on the Thursday night of Stockholm's Gay Pride celebrations every year, and attracts a large number of international Eurovision fans to the event.

*photo - via Eurovision.tv

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the Dutch singers wanted to participate in today's demonstration (he himself is gay), but decided against it, because the organizers wouldn't be able to guarantee his safety.

N said...

իսկ ես արդեն մի անգամ քվիարկել եմ նրա օգտեն և դա կանեմ հաճույքով այսօր նույնպես, մանավանդ նրա հայտարարությունից հետո. :)