Thursday 17 June 2010

Vayach & Tsomak: “I want us to be WE...”

Rusty Pumpkin is an annual alternative media festival in Yerevan. It takes place at Mkhitar Sebastatsi Educational Complex and aimed at encouraging conceptual art, ‘raw art’, mainly via means of photography and video produced using non-professional equipment, including mobile phones.

This music video by Vayach and Tsomak “I want us to be WE...” was among five winners of the Rusty Pumpkin ‘Oscars’ this year (see picture below).

I really loved it. Pretty cool.

Lyrics and performance - by writer/artist Lusine Vayachyan, also known as Vayach. You may read her blog at http://vayach.wordpress.com/. For lyrics in English - see here.

Music and voice - by Tsomak, better known as lead vocalist and guitarist of Pincet / Incest, all-female electropunk rock bands based in Armenia.

Video montage - by contemporary artist Sona Abgaryan.



And now, thanks to Lusine Vayachyan, exclusive insight story behind the lyrics and this clip (AM):

Սա մի տխուր պատմություն է հենց վայաչի մասին...Սյն մասին, որ նա երկար ժամանակ սիրում է ocean-ին, նրանք ապրում են միասին եւ ocean-ը սիրահարվում է պարբերաբար ուրիշ աղջիկների... Նա այնքան է սիրում, որ օրերից մի օր, նրանից նեղացած նստած է լինում, եւ հանկարծ տեսնում է, թե աղջիկը ոնց է բացված քնել, նայում է նրան, լցվում քնքշանքով, ծածկում ու տաս րոպեում գրում այդ բանաստեղծությունը: Հետո Ծոմակը երեւի էլի ինչ-որ մի նման քնքշալի վիճակում գրում է երգը: վայաչը կապիկություններ է անում ու ինքն իրեն նկարում, Սոնան էլ մոնտաժ է անում: Երջանիկ մարդիկ, ցավոք, չեն արարում, նրանք վայելում են կյանքը: Արվեստը զոհեր է պահանջում նաեւ երջանկությունից....


*'Ժանգոտ դդումի օսկարը'


*Tsomak (left) and Vayach (right)

(pictures via Facebook)

4 comments:

Liana said...

These are some of the coolest lyrics and probably one of the first awesomely awesome as opposed to awesomely cheesy music and video I have heard out of Armenia! She is so cute.

artmika said...

Since I woke up this morning, I keep singing this song non-stop. Totally awesome!!

Lilit said...

Artmika

I would really appreciate if you could kindly put me in contact with Tsomak please. if you could pass me her email address, I would be really grateful. I have lost contact with her about 10 years ago when I moved out of Armenia and there is something urgent I needed to tell her now and your blog is the only thing I have found that could lead me to her. Thanks very much !

artmika said...

Dear Lilit, I'd suggest you contacting her via Facebook. Alternatively, email me your contacts, and I'll pass to Tsomak.