Saturday 12 April 2014

Sona Avedian: Former US Marine of Armenian origin chronicles coming out as a trans woman on YouTube

Via BuzzFeed, this personal story of former US Marine of Armenian origin - Sona Avedian, who chronicles her coming out as a trans woman on YouTube.

“I was born in 1982, in a boy’s body,” recalls Sona Avedian. “Ashamed of myself, I hid behind the mask of a U.S. Marine”, trying to “man up”, then marry and start a family [“I met my bride while visiting family in Armenia…"], to live “normal life”…

Feeling isolated and alone, Sona requested to be stationed in Japan for 4 years. It wasn’t until 2001 that Sona stumbled upon the term “transgender” on the internet. Although the discovery was an immense relief, the urge to live a “normal” life was even stronger. “I was taking it to my grave,” Sona recalls.

Finishing up with the U.S. Marine Corps in 2005, Sona worked as a contractor overseas and even started a family. “I thought getting married would help me cope.” […]

In November of 2012 Sona finally came out to her friends and family, making the decision to begin transitioning.
Sona’s parting message: “This is not about passing, it never was. It’s about being YOU, no matter what society thinks – and that is beautiful.”


*Sona Avedian’s Facebook page; YouTube channel
**thanks to Katy for the link.

No comments: