Thursday 18 September 2008

Singer Pink, comedian Cho and McCain's Palin

Pink did it again; that's why I love her. Here is what she has to say to the US Republican presidential candidate John McCain's running mate (VP's choice) Sarah Palin:
"If I were writing a letter to Sarah Palin," Pink told PopEater during her Sessions taping on Thursday, "it would be a lot of whys and hows. Who are you? Do you know? Why do you hate animals? Please point out Iraq on a map ..."

What scares Pink are women who consider the Alaska governor's selection a feminist victory. "This woman hates women," the singer said. "She is not a feminist. She is not the woman that's going to come behind Hillary Clinton and do anything that Hillary Clinton would've been capable of ... I can't imagine overturning Roe vs. Wade. She's not of this time. The woman terrifies me."

Pink, an animal rights activist, suggests creatures other than humans should be just as scared of Palin: "I can't imagine shooting a wolf out of a helicopter."
Last year her message ('probing questions') to the US president Bush was as straightforward and powerful. It was a song - Dear Mr President... (I posted it in April 2007). According to some reports, it proved to be so controversial that has been unofficially banned from radio stations across the US back then.



Comedian Margaret Cho's choice of words was even more extreme:

"I think [Palin] is the worst thing to happen to America since 9-11,” Cho said. "Someone who has no thoughts about women's rights and who wants to send women back to the Stone Age? You might as well not let women vote. I came out of the Democratic convention feeling so proud and excited, but now I fear that our country is so backwards in so many ways and the ignorance that exists is greater than we can even imagine.” [...]

"The reach of homophobia and hatred is so wide, it's disturbing how deep it is,” Cho said. “Now with Sarah Palin, who is so anti-gay and advocated camps for them to go to be brainwashed, she is a real sign of something very wrong with this country, a real problem. We are battling homophobia on so many fronts." [...]

She worries that the Republicans will "probably fix the election again" and feels that their vice-presidential pick of Sarah Palin was meant to "appease disgruntled Hillary voters." In Cho's opinion, the consequences of voting for the so-called "pitbull with lipstick" will be disastrous.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both PINK and the Comedian Cho can eat it. I am 25 years old, a single mom, a Marine Veteran, and Catholic. I am not perfect and I know that God will judge me, and only has he have the right to do so. Women have become so independant that they don't feel that they need a man. Well, I feel sorry for them. Sara Palin is a great woman, and I love all her views. I am pro-life, I am not pro-gay or pro-gay marriages, but I do not judge. God says to love everyone and guide them to truth. It is my religion that helps me keep my life sane and not crazy. I don't agree with tattoos, body piercings, and so forth. Women are not women any more, they have lost their touch to be women, the barer of children. They have become lost, selfish, and dangerous. A woman who can carry a life in her belly and actually think about getting rid of the child is more crazy then someone who kills someone reguardless if she's pregnant or not. He/ she just wants no witnesses. Who's the crazy one?

Anonymous said...

to the above anonymous writer: not everyone is like you. not everyone is catholic. not everyone feels the need to have a man to validate their existance. not everyone is anti-choice or anti-gay, like you. not everyone believes in god. those things seem so simple to say, but obviously you, and many others, don't understand that there are lots of different kinds of people on this planet. the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of your statements is what is so scary about people like palin. how you could fight to take my freedoms from me yet flaunt your veteran status; how you could push your god and religion on me and try to force me to live by things i don't believe in, yet say you don't judge; and what exactly is your definition of a woman anyway, since you denounce so many of us?

it is my spirituality, not any religion, that helps me maintain my sanity in the face of such craziness. but although i do not agree with anything you said, i do feel you have a right to exist and live in freedom; just don't try to take my rights away from me. my right to choose what happens in and to my body; my right to choose which religion i practice; my right to have sex with who i choose; my right to live my life even if i am nothing like you. that's not "selfish" or "dangerous" of me to want those things, because i'm not taking anything from you. but what you are saying is absolutely judgmental and totally dangerous to so many women- the many other types of women out there who are also unlike you.

artmika said...

Well said, Anonymous (21 October 2008 03:51)! My respects.