Wednesday 22 August 2007

Good News: Meline's bar - the first and the only Yerevan gay bar, is open again!

UPDATE: Last Day of Meline’s bar – 31 July 2008


In June, I posted Bad News that the first and the only Yerevan gay bar - Meline's bar, was closed down for unknown reason.

Now it's time for Good News: I've just learnt (thanks to I.!) that the owner of Meline's bar decided to re-open it, and Meline's has already started working from this Monday!

Truly, the great news for gay community in Yerevan and Armenia. However, the future of this bar is dependent on demolition projects currently undertaken by Armenian Government to pave the way for Northern Avenue. I wonder how many more destructions are on the menu to make sure that we have our own 'Fifth Avenue'?...

Till then, lets enjoy the moment and hope that Meline's old good spirit will be re-established again to re-attract regulars and new customers alike.

There are some further news too - I am aware of at least one new gay-friendly venue in Yerevan, will provide more info as soon as finalise details.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as I know, the building that houses the French restaurant and Meline's is due for demolition in about two years. But I am glad to know that Meline's is open again.

artmika said...

I thought it would be earlier. So potentially we have 2 more years (unless they close it again for 'unknown reasons'), hopefully by that time new venues will be on the horizon to accommodate gay community and gay-friendly crowd.

Anonymous said...

Hi I just came across your blog. I find it disturbing that this even exists in Armenia. I would think we could be safe in our own country from these types of establishments but I guess not. I just don't agree with being "an Armenian gay" should be outward in the public. It's very much against our strong Christian faith.

It's such a shame really that we've stooped to this level in Armenia.

I pray for you and others who find themselves cursed with such evil. I hope that Satan soon is free from you and that the Lord may comfort you with your true calling in life. That is to walk in the path of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

The old and kind style of the bar is ...DEAD...

Meline’s Bar is the most homophobic place nowadays. There is no respect to the clients. You can find gay, lesbian and straight signs on the walls as a part of design but you’ll be discriminated if you are a gay or lesbian

So sorry that such a nice place can be discusting for us now. Though you can go there, as you are the only one that can make them rich.
Take care people.

artmika said...

I am very confused and shocked, to be honest, to hear that gay bar can be transformed into "homophobic place". Thanks for sharing your experience, Mamikon, it's very important. Could you please provide more details, e.g. what sort of homophobia did you experience there? When and from whom? It is extremely important to write about all alleged cases of homophobia (in this case in what should have been 'the first and the only' gay bar in Armenia)

I remember you were excited with re-opening of Meline's. So what happened? What are the reasons of this transformation, in your opinion? I think it is extremely important and deserves separate post, so if you wish you could email your views on above and I will post it on your behalf. Or if you prefer you could write it here, in comments. If there are other people who have similar experiences, it would be great to incorporate those too. Thanks!

P.S. I wonder if it would be possible to contact manager of Meline's Bar to find out his reaction on this.

Anonymous said...

so i m gay and i m in in yerevan now and i d never seen this difficulty to meet some gay people. I went to Cairo last mounth and it was most easy (in islamic contry!!). So if Meline s bar is closed where can I go??

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am in Yerevan right now and want to go to a gay place here. What do you recommend me? what place?. I don`t believe there is not a gay bar in the whole armenian capital. Just let me know, please. Thank you.

artmika said...

I would highly recommend gay-friendly DIY bar.
http://gayarmenia.blogspot.com/2011/08/yerevan-diaries-diy-bar-i-recommend.html