Wednesday 7 April 2010

Kim Kardashian says: “I give a damn”, and talks of her Armenian roots

Kim Kardashian issued this statement (below) on a personal blog about her support and participation in Give a Damn Campaign. This campaign is particularly directed at straight people, to get informed, get involved and give a damn about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality. (for her & co previous similar actions - see here)



"I am taking part in the 'Give a Damn Campaign,' a campaign launched by Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Fund that aims to educate and engage the straight community to support gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender equality!!

I have many close friends who are homosexual and they encounter discrimination and hatred every day! I think sometimes as straight people we take equality for granted because we don't come up against the same barriers many gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people do. I want to ask you all to give a damn. Give a damn that people around you are being victimized simply for being who they are. Give a damn that young adults are ending their lives because of the bullying they are subjected to. All you have to do is give a damn.

Please follow the Give a Damn Campaign on Twitter, friend them on Facebook and check out their YouTube channel."

Kim has also found time to talk extensively about her Armenian heritage, reports British Daily Mail:


“The 29-year-old's father Robert Kardashian's side of the family were Armenian and, despite being raised in LA, she says she's proud of her roots.

Talking about her family history, she said to Armenian Pulse: "I am fourth-generation Armenian, born and raised in Los Angeles. My great-grandparents from my father's side came to LA from Armenia right before the genocide.

'My great-grandfather was Armenian and my great-grandmother, Turkish-Armenian. 

'My mother is English, so I am half-Armenian, but I was raised with a huge Armenian influence, always hearing stories of Armenia, eating Armenian food and celebrating Armenian holidays!'

Kardashian, who recently split from on/off boyfriend, American football player Reggie Bush, was told that she has a big fan base in Armenia and is very popular there.

She said: 'This makes me so happy! My father would be so proud that we talk about our Armenian heritage! My dad used to always tell us to never remove the '-ian' from our last name like some Armenians that came to the US.

'He was so proud to be Armenian and his biggest regret was not sending us to Armenian school! I am so proud to be Armenian and so happy that I can identify with my Armenian fans!'

*picture - via Daily Mail