Tuesday 9 December 2008

'The kiss of deaf'

This news made my day. It is so hilarious, so weird that I could not resist to post it in full on my blog (below). Who could have thought that “excessively passionate kiss” may leave someone “partially deaf”??! I know, I know, it’s bad, but could not stop laughing while reading the news via BBC.

I hope next time passionately kissing someone, this news would not come to my mind and won’t ruin it. On the other hand, I am kind of curious. How intense kissing should be to result in such an outcome? Am I missing something? Does it worth trying it? May be the secret is in Chinese men, may be I should try one?? ;)
***
Chinese girl gets 'kiss of deaf'

A young Chinese woman was left partially deaf following a passionate kiss from her boyfriend.

The 20-something from Khuhai in Guangdong province arrived at hospital having completely lost the hearing in her left ear, said local reports.

The incident prompted a series of articles in the local media warning of the dangers of excessive kissing.

"While kissing is normally very safe, doctors advise people to proceed with caution," wrote the China Daily.

The doctor who treated the girl in hospital was quoted in the paper explaining what had happened.

"The kiss reduced the pressure in the mouth, pulled the eardrum out and caused the breakdown of the ear."

The chorus of warnings was echoed by the Shanghai Daily, which wrote: "A strong kiss may cause an imbalance in the air pressure between two inner ears and lead to a broken ear drum."

The young woman is expected to regain her full hearing within about two months.


*photo - Getty Images, via BBC - "Couples are advised to "proceed with caution"

No comments: